Research search terms that are relevant to your business and industry. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a marketing strategy driven by the keywords that search engines like Google and Bing use in their algorithms to populate search results. Search engines rank websites based on the keywords relevant to the search.
- Use search engines like Google to look at search terms that are used by companies or products that are similar to your own.
- Make a list of search terms that are commonly used for similar products and services.
- Look at the related searches when you plug in a keyword to get ideas for search terms and to modify your own to fit popular search terms.
Optimize your website by putting keywords in your website URLs.
A URL is the address of a web page. One of the best ways to insert keywords into your website is to put them into the URLs so your pages are the top results for those keywords whenever a potential customer searches for it on a search engine.
Use keywords in title tags and meta descriptions of your web pages.
- For example, if you’re selling a sports calendar, the URL for your page selling sports calendar could be: “www.yourbusiness.com/sports_calendar.”
- If you use a more broad keyword, your page may not appear in specific searches from people. If you sell a sports calendar but you use the word “calendar” in your URL, your page may not appear for people searching for a sports calendar.
- Use URLs that are easy to remember so a customer can find you again.
A title tag is the name of the web page link that appears in a search result from a search engine. A meta description is the 2-3 line short description under the title tag that you can see when you run a Google search. Both of these are great places to use keywords to help your page rise to the top of the results of a search engine.
Include keywords in the content of your website.
- Incorporate keywords organically so they look genuine and legitimate, rather than just jamming as many keywords as you can, which can drive people away from your page.
- For example, if you owned a beauty salon, you would want the meta description of your salon’s website to include words like “beauty, salon, treatments, facials, and manicures” included in your meta description to help your website appear in Google searches.
- Use Google and Bing webmaster tools to revise your title tag and meta descriptions.
- A title tag is also the hyperlink that people will click on to go to your page.
Try to use the keywords relevant to your business as often as you can on your website. That includes any product descriptions, blog posts, and page titles. But be careful not fall into “keyword stuffing” which makes your page look unprofessional and spammy.
Capture the attention of potential customers with content marketing. Content marketing
- Search engines like Google and Bing could penalize your website and cause it to not appear in any search results.
is a marketing strategy that involves the creation and sharing of online materials like social media posts, images, videos, and blog posts to stimulate interest in a brand. Rather than pitching your products or services, content marketing seeks to earn the trust of your audience, which will result in greater sales and web traffic for your business.
Establish the audience for your content.
- The goal is to create content that will promote brand awareness, increase audience engagement with your company, create loyal customers, and increase sales.
- The content needs to be relevant to your target audience, appealing to them based on their interests.
- Content marketing can also reduce your total marketing costs, because you’re spending your marketing budget much more efficiently when you’ve effectively delivered content to your target audiences.
Before you create content to market with, you need to know who the content is intended for.
Research data for the demographics you plan to target. Use analytics from social media, email marketing campaigns, and market research to find the interests and concerns of your target audience.
Create quality content to use in your marketing efforts.
- Get feedback from your customers to shape your marketing message.
- You can hire a marketing strategist to help you hone your marketing strategy.
- Marketing content is meant to capture attention and educate your audience about your products and services.
Use striking images, catchy videos, funny quotes, and other quality content to engage your audience. Rather than pumping out a continuous supply of content, focus on quality over quantity. People who visit your site after seeing your content do it because they feel a connection and they trust your brand.
Maintain an online blog to engage with your customers.
- Use programs like Photoshop or Canva to make graphics that are visually appealing and project your brand.
- Use video editing software to make short advertisements to use.
An online blog is a great place to post photos and videos, write longer posts, and inform people about developments with your company, your products, or your services. It’s a great place to share industry related news or to connect on a personal level by writing autobiographical content about you and your life.
Test your content by checking the analytics analytics to see what works.
- Use a blog to post regular content that your readers want to keep coming back to see.
- Blogs can be professional or they can be intimate, or a combination of the two.
- Funny and engaging content that isn’t necessarily related to your business can help connect you with your customers on a personal level.
Analytics refers to information resulting from the analysis of data or statistics. Anytime you use your marketing content, track the analytics so you can see what is successful and what isn’t. Advertising can be expensive so you don’t want to waste your budget on ads using content that isn’t working.
Use social media to target a specific audience.
- Use the content that works as a model for any future content you create.
Social media refers to websites and applications that allow users to create and share content as well as participate in social networking with other users. Before you begin paying to advertise on social media, you should decide who your potential customers are because you would use different content to advertise to a 24-year-old white male in Toledo than you would for a 43-year-old African-American woman in Tallahassee.
Create a Facebook business page to promote your products or services.
- One of the best things about advertising on social media platforms is how much you can customize what audience will see your advertisements.
- You can target by categories like age, location, gender, interests, even people’s internet search history.
- Social media advertising is cost-effective and often results in increased sales because the people who see your ads are people who are likely to purchase your goods or services.
A business page on Facebook is free and makes it easier for people to find and connect with your or your business. You can display information about your business, your contact info, location, and hours of operation. You can also receive and respond to messages from current or potential customers.
- You can also post content to your business page that can be shared by other people. So if you’re running a flash-sale or special, Facebook is a great place to get the word out.
Make an Instagram account for your business to advertise visually.
Instagram is a social media platform used to share photographs and videos. Visually striking content can be used as advertisements on Instagram much in the way boosted posts on Facebook can target specific groups of people. Instagram offers tools to help you target and engage your potential customers.
- Facebook owns Instagram, so you can link your Instagram account to your Facebook account and post simultaneously to both platforms.
Make a Twitter Account to advertise new products and special sales.
Twitter is a social networking site where people communicate quickly with short messages called “tweets.” Twitter is fast-paced and is a great place for you to advertise a flash-sale, a limited edition product, or the launch of a new product. Create a twitter account for your business and “follow” other accounts that are relevant to your industry and business to start building a following of people who are interested in your products and services.
Join LinkedIn to build your business network.
- You can tweet about industry news or a sale to keep engagement up with your followers.
- Use hashtags (#) to link your posts to other posts that also contain the hashtagged word. For example, if you owned a shoe store, and you wanted to advertise a flash online sale, you could post the sale information to Twitter and use hashtags like #shoesforsale, #shoesaddict, #sneakers, and #footwear to get your post into a larger group of posts related to shoe sales.
LinkedIn is a social platform designed for career and business professionals to connect. It’s a great tool for you to use to build the brand of your business and form strong business connections. You can use it to stay current with trends in your industry, share industry content, and connect with influential people and companies in your industry.
Manage your accounts with a social media management program.
- LinkedIn is also a great social platform to search for potential employees. If you owned a company selling life insurance policies, you could post a job listing seeking young professionals to join your sales team. Applicants can respond to the listing through the platform, send you their resume, even complete a questionnaire to help you narrow down your candidates.
If you have several accounts on different social media platforms, you can use a program to keep all of your accounts together and better handle your posts and advertisements. Programs like Hootsuite, SocialOomph, and Loomly allow you to schedule and monitor your ads across multiple platforms.
Utilize email marketing to reach a larger audience easily.
- Management programs take the hassle out of using each individual account to advertise your business.
- Many programs offer free versions that have limited options but can still be used to manage your social media accounts.
- Management programs also have analytics and data that will tell you how much people click on or respond to a particular post or advertisement, which allows you to spend your money on ads that work.
Email marketing refers to the use of email to promote your business. Nearly every internet user has an active email account, so you can reach a larger portion of the internet who may not be on social media. Email marketing is also very cheap because you don’t have to spend any money to send an email.
Create email lists of your business contacts and customers.
- Because everything is trackable with marketing software, you can get easily get data that will tell you the success of your email campaigns.
- The return on investment (ROI) with email marketing is very high because you can only send emails to people who have provided you with their email address, and are therefore likely to be interested in your products and services.
- It’s also free to create an email account for your business.
To do an email marketing campaign, you first need a list of people you can email! Make it a practice to obtain people’s email address whenever they purchase something from you or you make a business connection. Create a link or option to subscribe for emails on your website and social media platforms to build your mailing lists.
Start a regular newsletter to send to your customers.
- Be sure you have permission to email someone. Spamming someone’s email with ads or messages they don’t want is a surefire way to drive them away.
A consistent newsletter is a great way to stay in touch with your customers and make them aware of any new products or developments with your business. If you include good and relevant content that your subscribers are interested in, they will look forward to your newsletter and may share it with others.
Create a targeted email marketing campaign using your mailing lists.
- Decide on whether you want to do a daily, weekly, or monthly newsletter and stay consistent.
- Be sure to include lots of links in your newsletter that will drive readers to your website, social media platforms, and products.
If you are launching a new product, sale, or want to make an announcement, sending an email to relevant contacts is an easy way to disseminate information. Since everyone in your mailing lists has given permission to receive emails from you, you have a much higher probability of them opening the email and clicking on any links.
Use email marketing software to send and monitor email campaigns.
- Think about who in your contacts are the audience you’re targeting and tailor your content and information to pique their interest.
Companies like MailChimp and Constant Contact use software and tools to make email marketing simple and easy. They allow you to upload your lists of contacts and schedule mass emails. They also provide data and analytics to help see click-through rates, open rates, bounce backs, and whenever someone clicks on a link in the email.
Try pay per click advertising to bring people to your website.
- You can tailor your campaigns to be more effective.
- Many email marketing services allow you to upload your own newsletter or use their templates to create one.
Pay Per Click (PPC) ads appear when specific search phrases are used or on websites that have a specific audience. You also only have to pay for them when someone clicks on them, so they can be a cost-effective way to drive internet traffic to your website.
Bid on Google AdWords for your ad to appear in Google searches.
- If your ad content looks good, PPC can be a great tool to drive people to your page.
- PPC allows small business to appear in Google searches for a great value because you only pay for clicks, which means that someone is looking at your website or products.
- You can also monitor the performance of your ads so you can change them or remove less successful ads.
Google AdWords works by using a bidding system to determine where your ad will be positioned on the page, which can determine how many clicks you’ll get. If you run an ad on a specific keyword or search term and there are no other ads using that keyword, then yours will display at the top of the page.
Target a specific audience for your ads with Facebook Advertising.
- If other companies start bidding on the keyword, your ad could be moved down unless you spend more money to bid for space on the page.
Facebook also offers PPC but they allow you to tailor the audience who will see your ads to a much greater degree. You can target people based on many combinations of factors so your ad is being seen by people who are interested in your business. The ads appear around the page and can drive people to your website or to a specific product page.
- Facebook also utilizes a bidding system to schedule when and where your ad will appear on the page.
How to Create an Internet Marketing Funnel: 11 Steps
Set up an attractive website. Remember that for most websites, a soft sell works better than a hard sell. You get more leads if you look trustworthy and loyal to customers, if you list reviews of your products and if you provide users with articles, newsletters, tips and other valuable content.
Invest in lead capture software or programming.
- The idea behind adding value to your website is that people who become daily users are much more likely to also become clients. If you don't sell a product yourself, you can become an affiliate marketer and post affiliate ads on your website. If you do sell a product, a daily user will have a chance to see more of your offers/products and buy them.
You can either hire a company to provide you with a lead capture landing page or program it into your website. With lead capture, your website users are required to sign up for an account or submit their name and email address in order to get valuable content.
Define your lead gathering strategy.
- This lead capture software ranges from simple to complex. You can have a landing page that captures the data, or you can sign up for a system that tracks your user's accounts once they sign in. You can see what products they looked at, what pages they read and, judging from their account activity, you can see how likely they are to become customers.
You should choose 5 to 10 ways to get the attention of your target demographic(s). Some common Internet lead
capture strategies are Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts, guest blogs, search engine optimization (SEO)/search engines, article directories, online ads, affiliate marketers and more.Define the valuable product or service you can offer to get the client to sign up.
You may need to brainstorm with your marketing team about what you can provide. Ideas include a free trial, free services, a coupon, a video, educational content, a free account, or access to a number of such services.Define your end goal.
This is the end relationship you want to have with the information you gather, and it differs greatly for online businesses. In some cases, the contact details of a person is your Internet-based goal, because it may funnel leads into a service-based business that calls its customers by phone, and in other cases, it is developing repeat clientele.Begin using all 5 to 10 lead gathering strategies at once.
With an employee heading up each strategy, make sure employees coordinate new offers, posting consistently and timely as you add more value to your website with free content.
Have someone examine the ratio of visitors to your page, versus how many people enter their contact information to get access to content.
- Use website links that have embedded web analytic codes. You can do this through your website provider or with a free Google Analytics account. Make sure each strategy uses a different link, so you can track your most successful lead gathering strategies. Most web analytics programs will automatically mark down leads that come from major search engines.
A high percentage means you are targeting your demographic well, and should continue to offer similar content. A low percentage means you need to invest more in adding value to the free content or service you are offering.Gather the leads from your lead generation software.
You should get information to add to your content management system (CRM) or database every week. Make sure you code new leads according to the offer that enticed them to sign up.Communicate with your database through email blasts and newsletters or direct mail.
Target your offers by giving your leads emails that suggest similar products or services as what they signed up to see. These communications bring leads back to your website in order to convert them to customers.
Mark people who buy your products as "customers" in your database.
- If you are gathering leads for a service-based job, you may also want to give them a call. If they inquired about a quote, then this is an essential part of the communication process.
Customers should be given extra content and discounts for loyalty. 
The desirable end to the funnel is that customers continue to enter the funnel on their own and buy more products as they become available.Don't allow your funnel to stagnate.
Your marketing team should constantly be updating the lead generation points, the offers and the database, in an ongoing pipeline. Unless you have cornered the majority of the market, a successful marketing funnel can continue working in the same fashion for years.
How to Create an Internet Marketing Strategy: 8 Steps
Study your competitors. Study them from their website through their sales process, including their marketing strategies. Identify the past and ongoing marketing strategies of your largest competitors, so you know what works in your given market.
Study your market. Decide if you are part of a niche market. If so, you will want to center your strategy on that demographic, instead of all Internet consumers.
Mimic the successful marketing strategies of your competitors.
- Choose your ideal consumer. Decide who your demographic is, in order to target it with your strategy. Focus the majority of your online marketing budget on your ideal demographic.
Your market research should tell you how many followers your competitors have on Facebook, how many people they send their email list to and how many people comment on their blog entries. This means that the demographic responds well, and these campaigns should be the first on your list for your strategy.Create a multi-faceted Internet marketing strategy.
In order to increase your brand recognition you should launch several marketing campaigns at once. The following are marketing strategies that you should look at starting within a few weeks of each other:Develop your brand name and image before communicating with your targeted market.
In today's marketing world, a brand name and image is as important as the strategy itself. Your brand makes you recognizable amongst competitors, so pick a name, trademark, website, letterhead and business plan before launching a strategy.
Set up tracking capabilities for all of your campaigns.
- Create social media accounts and assign someone to launch interesting material every day. In order to attract followers, social media accounts and blogs must be consistently updated.
- Create or pay someone to write SEO articles. Articles that mention popular keywords related to your product, but also offer tips or advice are a great way to introduce people to your product. They also help your website to show up on the first pages of an Internet search. Do not scrimp on the money you spend for SEO articles, Google has created a way to list top quality articles first.
- Collect or buy email lists. People who have stores have most likely collected emails throughout the years, which can be used for email blasts. If you do not have any emails, you can buy them from marketing companies or neighboring markets. Send an initial blast and monthly blasts updating your customers on new products.
- Create videos of people using your product, how-tos or people vouching for your product. You can launch these videos via your website, You Tube, Vimeo, Facebook or other places in order to draw interest to your website.
- Buy ads on sites that cater to your market. Communicate your brand image, videos or other product info on banner ads. If you don't have the skills to craft a well-designed ad, hire a graphic designer to create a good ad.
The easiest way to do this is to set up a Google Analytics account through your main Google account. Create a campaign for each facet of your strategy so that you can look back later and see which ones had the best return on investment (ROI).
Launch your campaign in the same few days and weeks.
- Consider buying print ads that cater to your market that also launch at the same time as our Internet marketing campaign. Track this ad by buying a similar domain name that redirects to your site. Let a Google Analytics campaign track the success of the print ad, in comparison to your Internet marketing, through this other domain.
Be consistent, if your method requires communication with customers. Follow through with all of your orders as quickly as possible, in order to create good reviews on your website and other marketplaces.Evaluate your ROI and repeat any strategies that were successful, if and when you launch new products.
Some campaigns are ongoing and you can try to slowly or virally increase your following.